Sunday, December 2, 2007

turandot brings it out in me

Here's a pretty neat guy. His name is Paul Potts. He lives in Wales, hawks cell phones and oh, yeah, sings opera.

Click here for Paul's song.

I am reminded all too often of the many wonderful artists who are out in this great big world unable to make a living from their craft but instead are punching keyboards, waiting tables or whatever it takes to stay in the Game of Life. Some weren't able to crack the Hollywood code. Nothing more, nothing less. A few equate it to winning the lottery. I am inclined to agree. It stings, no doubt about it, but at the same time serves to inspire. Potts is all about that. And the humility and purity at which he shares himself moves and encourages me. Our art is who we are; no matter where we are or what we're doing...not what somebody pays us to do. I've known some true talents (and I'm fortunate to have heard and seen their work) that have moved on to other things because the biz never happened for them on the level that they wanted or needed it to. I'm married to one...has the timing of Benny but picks up his paycheck somewhere SSW of Broadway. It used to make me sad, but now that I'm a mom of two brand new shiny people, how can I encourage them not to follow their dreams? No matter what happens. no matter how it plays out. Whether they become bean counters or fly to the moon or ask me for 500 bucks to get their head shots done...it's not so much about the winning but the journey itself that will teach them the most and all the twists and turns along that roller coaster ride that will forge them into the cool ladies I know they're going to be.

Some of us might have missed the boat on that 401 K, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, we shared the deepest part of ourselves. How awesome is that? Whether we got the bling or not. I am honored to know all of you out there that have shared your art...yourselves..with me. The creative community I immersed myself in for all those years was truly my salvation. I discovered more about myself on that little stage in Silver Lake than I did just about anywhere. Life comes at ya fast. And sometimes a person has to roll in a different direction than they had planned or toward something they've realized may be the gold they really need after all. And sometimes that crazy hairpin turn becomes our true north. At least it has for me.

In Buddhism, there is no room for regret but always time for do-overs...new beginnings. I am looking forward to the next chapter in my life where perhaps I can turn on my klieg again. Until then, I will live through the beauty of art that hangs on my fridge and in the dreams of my children and what I've discovered is around me, always, no matter where I reside.

Art, of any kind, and its expression is truly the heart of humanity, and faith- it's wellspring...and that, my friends, keeps this old ball of rock turning.

1 comment: