Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the harvest

Well..another Thanksgiving holiday is upon us. My, my..how fast this last year has gone. When I think of the flurry of activity and the level of emotion that filled these last 365 days..well, two things. 1) I am plum tuckered and 2) I have much to be thankful for. My appreciation spills over the edge of my St. Paulie Girl stein, and once again, amidst the chaos and roller coaster structure that is a mother's life..well, it fills me to sit down at the ole terminal and try to express the gift of goodness, love and light that has been given to me by so many of you. As I always say, my friendships are my greatest fortune. I don't know what I did in a past life, but it must of been darn good to have what I have today. Here. Now. In this very moment. And folks, that is all we have. A series of fleeting moments..some fab, some not so fab..in an ever changing world. And, tomorrow, I think it's essential, at least for me anyway, that we all gather 'round the dinner table, the five star culinary hall or the T.V. tray and take stock 'o what we got and share our thanks with those we love..and reminding ourselves, as well, of all the simple joys of living and the precious meaning that lies within. For it is deep inside those tiny fleeting moments, the grand majesty of life abides. You don't have to run out and get yourself preggars or anything, but kids are sure a great way to stay up and at 'em on all those little daily morsels.

My Top Turkey Five:

1) My amazing girls who have opened my life..my heart beyond measure. Whose joys are my joys. Whose breath is my very own.

2) My husband's tenacity and strength to face the darkest of darks and come back ten-fold. Priceless.

3) The gift of friendship and family..those who share my life, my dreams, my booze..my world. The beyond-Harrods gift of smiles and love that I hold in my heart by having the honor of knowing each one of you.

4) Laughter. A life without it, is not one properly lived, I say. To Tim, I thank you for teaching me that one..at times when I didn't know it was still there even..at times when it saved me.

5) That by the generosity of another treasured friend, in just two short days, my girls get to meet Snow White and soar with Peter Pan. I remember my giggles, my happiness...the armfuls of magic when I skipped-to-my-Lou'd across Walt's special Kingdom in my youth. Yeah, that was the good ole days when 40 bucks got you and your brood into Mickey's casa. Now, it looks like a choice between hocking the wedding ring or downsizing the Honda to a Datsun B-210.

And then there are always those things my greedy self wishes I was thankful for. Hey, I'm only human.
~ my stainless steel Kenmore Elite Kitchen Series.
~ the pewter Lexus with the huge red ribbon that Geez so lovingly wrapped around its chassis.
~ The 10 day, ten night, all inclusive, expenses paid- nanny included, over water-bungalow vacation on the edge of a Tahiti sea. Complete with fins, snorkel and ice cold Dom. Oh, yeah...and crème brulee every night for dessert and a body like Jessica Alba while I'm stuffing it down.

For now, this pilgrim must sign off and skedaddle. Mama has to pull a last minute five-day Disney vacation with a 3 year old, a 5 year old, three carry-ons and two car seats outta my butt. Egads!

Happy Thanksgiving To All!

No comments: