Friday, February 8, 2008

sleighbells and superbowl

Who says ya can't recreate a holiday? Who says Santa won't catch the red-eye down from the North and visit two little girls who missed out on all that magic and mistletoe while their daddy was away? And then when you're lucky enough to get three inches of the white stuff and school is cancelled and all four peas in your pod are stranded inside with hot chocolate, popcorn and movies...well, it just doesn't get much better than that, folks. Christmas in February. Pretty darn cool. A red hot month with just a splash of gold added to the mix for good measure...our first Valentine's Day together in 8 years, plus Oscars in the Ozarks, and Mama's even going to be celebrating another year of mid-life at the end of all this month long madness!

But back to last weekend's belated Yule extravaganza....do not ask me why a mother would purposely subject herself to a Barbie cell phone that plays a very loud, maniacal version of Beethoven's Ninth. Or why she'd tart up her own two year old with a three dollar pair of hot pink plastic high heels to teeter around the house in. And I can not even go there with myself...for all the purple feathers floating about the living room from the matching saloon-ey boa purchase and the goopy glittery lip gloss that the girls insist they need to reapply every ten minutes. I don't get it. I visualized an Opie, but got a couple of frilly, pageant types. And Mama's Christmas gift? Well, I was hoping for a Tiffany-wrapped box of Prozac, economy sized, but had to settle for the sweet smile on my man's face and the vocal performance from the two hams I gave birth to while holding their battery operated microphones that feed into the stereo for Dolby surround sound. Oh, yeah.

So here we were, awash in a sea of giggles and holiday wrapping. Big Daddy out of the sick bay- finally...some Christmas cheer, a present or two..and the biggest football day of the year, no less. A man's dream- minus the Doublemint Twins and the keg. Me? I didn't even know what teams were playing, per usual, as the ESPN thing just never did it for me. I like my guys naked, bald, holding a crusader's sword, standing on a roll of film and golden, baby! It really just goes to show ya though, that you don't need a calendar..or a clock for that matter..to make it any kind of day you want it to be. It felt special to have something that was all ours and the world didn't even have a clue. Yep, it's pretty darn good to have all the Mags together again after what seemed like an eternity. My, my..how life can change on a dime, my friends. All the more reason to make it just the way we want it, when we want it..paying no mind to how silly or out of sorts it seems, and to go on and hang those stockings from the mantle with care and keep the fireplace clean no matter what time of year it may be to make way for all the magical ho-ho and wonder that surely comes our way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in Christmas all year long. Everyday should be a day of appreciation, fun, love and giving. I am so grateful to live on the edges of your wonderful life and be able to stay informed via your fabulous blog.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home L.!

I am so happy you are home with your family, where you belong. You sure gave us a scare. We are so happy!
Lots of love, love, love to you both and the precious girls, too!

L., D. and A.