Saturday, November 3, 2007

poste de primiere

Well, well, well. Hmmm. Now that I've spent the last two months floundering in a cyber pool of html, widgets & scroll boxes, busy as a drone pimping my blog, and still not knowing much more than I did when I started this blasted thing...hey, I'm a child of the seventies...typing was our computer class in those days. And I didn't even elect to take that. Too busy emoting in Drama, I guess. So anyhoo...now, I guess I gotta say something.

I definitely know this isn't going to be an online journal type of thing for me to rattle off what I do for the day. Kids, sleep, kids, sleep, Wal-Mart, kids, sleep. There ya have it. It surely won't be a place for me to pontificate or play pundit on this, that or the other because that isn't where my head's at. Literally....the brain power ain't that good. I'll leave that to Olbermann, Maher, or my friend, Dr. Wayne. And it won't be a place for me to offer up my writing as anything other than an outlet to understand myself a little better, to work out the kinks, be a better human, a better mom, a better friend, help me see that the glass is indeed half-full which takes a little more effort than it did when I was six and perhaps, maybe, just maybe, provide a little inspiration, hopefully not too hokey, to anyone out there who needs it. I hope The Daily Mag in its small, humble way will be a refueling station of sorts. After the morning news, a terror level of orange, and Coulter wasting good oxygen, who doesn't need that?

Which leads me back to Mama's Grand Opening, as it were. I think I have the person for the job. His name is Randy Pausch and he's a computer science prof at CMU. He's 47, pancreatically challenged and landlord to ten tumors in his liver. He's a father to three young kids, a husband, and on his way out of this lifetime in a matter of months. He's also brave, amazing and pretty cool. Below is an excerpt from his last lecture called "How to Live Your Childhood Dreams" on his own life's journey and the lessons he's learned. The Lecture
He talks about achieving our dreams and what's reeeally fun....enabling others to achieve theirs! Ya gotta love the ordinary doing the extraordinary. I do, and I want to pay tribute to the neato peeps that are out on the planet doing just that! You can read and/or watch the whole thing if you go on his site...click here
Yeah, yeah. It's something that most of us already know. Everything I'm gonna put on here or write about is. But it sure doesn't hurt to remind ourselves from time to time. In my case, daily. We can and we should but often don't chill for a bit...away from the 405, the cubicle, the stove or Prada to take heed to life's mallet that keeps banging away at our noggins. Inscription on mine? "Keep it simple, stupid." And then maybe you won't have to do what I did. Move all the way to the Ozarks just to realize that.

1 comment:

sandy said...

Yay! You've enabled comments. Welcome to blogging, my dear! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks when I'm in your zipcode! xx